April 9, 2014

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness


This is an extension of my previous post of the book On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness.  I have found that many families are unaware of the land of Aerwiar and the multifaceted Igiby family.  I am hoping to draw some attention to their adventures by giving another dangle in front of your beautiful faces.

At first it was difficult for me to have a spare moment to make any headway in the lives of the Igiby's and the very unique land of Aerwiar.  That was only because interruptions by my children made it hard to concentrate on the opening details that lead you into a world of fantastical creatures and a thought provoking way of life.  The only fix was to read the books as a family.

In Book One of the Wingfeather Saga:  On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, Andrew Peterson takes a the Igiby family (Janner, Tink, Leeli, Nia, Podo and dare I say one more?  No, I will leave that for you to find out.) on the greatest adventure of their lifetime.  There is danger and excitement around every corner.  Just when you think the coast is clear another (Thwap shows up? No.) twist changes the entire foreseeable future and you are left on the edge of your seat, only to beg for a break in the story so that you can put the book down to use the restroom.  Yes, it is that Awesome of a book! 

A direct quote from my twelve year old son Alex, "Mom, I liked the Lord of the Rings books, but the Wingfeather Saga is exciting from page one!"  

There are Sea Dragons, Thwaps, Toothy Cows, Fangs, Gnag the Nameless and a trusty dog named Nugget. I wish that I could tell you more, but I would ruin the wonderful time that you and your family will be able to embark on if I do.  And believe me, I remember each and every moment sharing this story with my family.  

 So, are you ready for a new kind of adventure that will leave you wanting to be a part of the Igiby family? The excitement we had each night as we snuggled up on the couch to enter into the town of Skree. Within the walls of this story lies such adventure and thrill that will capture hearts young and old.  I rank Andrew Peterson's books right up there with C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.  Now that I have gotten to know the Igiby's and their thwap filled garden, I cannot imagine my library without them in it.

**This series is suitable for children ages 10 and up.  There is some violence, although nothing I think a seasoned reader of The Chronicles of Narnia couldn't handle. I do not suggest a child younger than 10 reading these books only because there are moments of intensity that could bother them.  On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is good, clean, moral and I believe instills the longing for honor and valor in those who read it.  There are tests of faith, choices with consequences and opportunity to make things right.  Though we read this as a family, I feel completely confident that a child age 10 or older could read this book and or the entire series without guidance.  If you are a parent and thinking of letting your child, younger than 10, read this book or even the entire saga, I recommend that you read it first and make your decision after that.  Only you, as a parent, truly know what is and what is not acceptable for your child to read.

To purchase this book please visit the Rabbit Room. Purchasing a book from the Author's store blesses the Author more financially.  However, you may also find the book at Amazon as well as Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment